Getting ready for your journey
If you already have a bike and it's been lying around the shed for a few years, you will need to make sure it is still safe to ride so make a start with the following checks:
- Make sure both brakes work well
- Ensure both tyres are pumped up, not only for your safety but this will make it much easier to ride as well
- Your saddle is at the correct height - as a rough guide, when sitting on the saddle your heel should rest on the pedal with your knee very slightly bend
- Make certain the handle bars are tightened so they do not move when pressure is applied from the top; check that with the front wheel between your legs the handle bars cannot be turned
- Ensure your gears work smoothly
If you are unsure about any of the above take your bike to your nearest bike shop for a quick service.